Sunday, May 9, 2010

Who sings to a meatloaf?

We were on our way home from a birthday party Friday night when Syd noticed that the radio wasn't registering the name of the song and artist like it usually does. You know -- radio caller ID. I told her that when I was a kid, radios didn't do that. She was amazed. When I really want to flip her out, I'll tell her about 8-tracks.

"What's this song?" she asked.

"Meatloaf: 'I Will Do Anything for Love,'" Jim replied.

A few silent seconds went by, then she said, "That's a crazy name for a song."

It dawned on me then that what she'd heard was "Meatloaf, I Will Do Anything for Love" instead of Meatloaf: "I Will Do Anything for Love."

I laughed til I cried. Jim was explaining to her that Meatloaf was the guy's name. He said the singer's father used to call him that because he thought he was worthless.

Poor meatloaf. Not Meatloaf with a capital M. How is it that a food gets such a bad rap? Is meatloaf so worthless? "Shouldn't that have been Meat Head?" I asked Jim. "You know, that's what Archie Bunker always called his son-in-law."

"Or Meat Ball," chimed Syd. "Or Pork Loaf."

Pork loaf?

"Olive loaf," added Jim.

Most families play travel games like looking at license plates or passing cars. We name loaf varieties.They beat me in that game by far. All I could come up with was pimento loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment